Tom Marchant wrote:

>Some time between 1967 and 1970.

I think the limits of 40 or 100 characters were based on a quick way (without
using tapes or extra punch cards) to give shortish parameters to a program
using puch cards. Or so it was told to me by an oldie years ago.

About "Reference of the PARM field":

Then (from bitsavers):

"The exact location and format of control information passed to a processing
program are described under the topic titled "Program Management" in section 1
of the publication IBM System/360 Operating System: Supervisor and Data
Management Services.

Today (from my bookmanager):

"For details on the format of the passed information and its retrieval, see
z/OS MVS Programming: Assembler Services Guide."

Amazing how they worded same things then and now.

>See page 85 of
>http://bitsavers.trailing-edge.com/pdf/ibm/360/os/R19_Jun70/GC28-6704-0_JCL_Reference_Rel_19_Jun70.pdf

Amazing those bitsavers place which I read now and then just for amusement. I
have a look at that book.

Same familiar monospaced fonts. Same two columns per page. Same weird spacing
of words. Pages left blank intentionally. ;-)

I also looked at the 'Programmers name' and am amazed that it is still 20 chars
long!
I tried out a job with 21 chars and got a JCL error with this nice message in
upper and lower case!
'HASP110 value of programmer name is too long'

Good to see those ancient manuscripts. I (re-)discovered ancient terms like
SUL, BISAM and QISAM and such animals.

Do you think I should fill in 'READER'S COMMENTS'? Hmmmm? ;-D

Thanks, Tom for discovering this little gem! ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht

SUL - type of LABEL which I never ever used at all.