On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 11:21:50 -0600, Tom Marchant wrote:

>>I'm curious because others have said (in this forum?) that earliest PROCs
>>had no arguments; all modification was done by overrides.  So, at that
>>time symbols didn't exist in JCL, neither as PROC formal parameters nor
>>in the (relatively recent) SET statment.
>
>That agrees with the description of Cataloged procedures in the 1967 manual.

And, apparently prior to instream PROCs, there was no PROC nor PEND statement.
IIRC, PEND used to be prohibited in library PROCs (why?)  Lately, it's allowed.
This permits INCLUDEing a library PROC to make it an instream PROC.

Is there anything done with overrides that couldn't nowadays be done as well
with arguments/symbols?  (But the problem of dangling commas when attributes
are nullified would have to be addressed.  Most easily by ignoring excess
commas.)
And symbols could address the deficiencies of overrides when PROC calls are
nested.  Referback deficiencies persist.

Are arguments to outer PROCs available as symbols in nested-called PROCs
without being declared as formal parameters in the inner PROC?

Thanks,
gil