From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Wednesday, March 8, 2017 8:12 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: curious: why S/360 & decendants are "big endian".

This is more a Friday type topic. But I'm curious about why the original
designers of the S/360 went with "big endian" instead of "small endian"?
The _only_ reason that I can think of is because our arithmetic "system" is
"big endian". The more I think about it, the more Intel's "little endian"
architecture makes more sense. I also wish the same were true of our writing
(e.g. one hundred would be written 001, not 100). This latter would actually
make outputting formatted numbers easier to program.