I first posted this over on RACF-L. Elardus thought it would be worth-while
to post here too. So I am. For your consideration:

This may be on the weird side. And this is only for "thinking about" at
present. In the past, end user interactive work has basically meant TSO
​ (yes, I know there were alternatives)​
. However, in today's z/OS, a UNIX shell is now a possibility. As is just
submitting job
​s​
& retrieving output (for "batch people") using ftp. I guess that the best
way is to simply treat these people's data set requirement like I would a
TSO user. That is
​,​
create an alias based on the RACF id "&RACUID"
​ (RACF profile) / "&SYSUID" (TSO & JCL)​
to the same, or maybe a different, user catalog. Just let them create DSNs
with their
​RACF id as the ​
high level.

But an alternative occurred to me. And I'd like to pass it by ya'll. The
main reason is my convenience. BTW, I am the main RACF admin, and z/OS
sysprog - we're very small. Anyway, I was thinking that the non-TSO
interactive users could use data sets in the form: MYDSN.&RACUID.**
​, for PS and PO type data sets ([Hz]FS would use the norm for the shop for
UNIX file system data sets).​
This should be easy to create a single set of RACF rules for:

RDEF GLOBAL DATASET('MYDSN.&RACUID.**'/ALTER)
ADDSD 'MYDSN.*.**' UACC(NONE)
PE 'MYDSN.*.**' ID(*) ACCESS(READ)

The last PERMIT is just so that everybody could share READ access to their
DSNs. It may or may not be appropriate.

I thought that this would be OK for UNIX shell users, because in most
cases, they should keep their data in a UNIX file in their ${HOME}. My
opinion is that a UNIX shell should should be more comfortable using shell
facilities than trying to make the UNIX shell "work like" a TSO session. If
there is something that _requires_ a data set, then using MYDSN.&RACUID.**
(or the JCL version of MYDSN.&SYSUID.**) should not be too difficult. I
would hope.

Am I totally off my rocker and out of my gourd?

--
"Irrigation of the land with seawater desalinated by fusion power is
ancient. It's called 'rain'." -- Michael McClary, in alt.fusion

Maranatha! <><
John McKown