From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tom Brennan
Sent: Friday, March 10, 2017 2:37 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: 3270 emulator display/translation oddity with windows 10

Bill Godfrey wrote:

> Not necessarily the  _ and | characters. I think those would probably display
> correctly on the OP's emulator.
> The 3270 character for a graphics horizontal line is displayed using 2 bytes,
> the "Graphics Escape" (hex 08) followed by hex A2, and in the Windows-1252
> character encoding, hex A2 is a cent sign.
> The 3270 character for a graphics vertical line is a GE followed by hex 85,
> and in the Windows-1252 character encoding, hex 85 is an ellipsis, three
> horizontal dots.
> So the OP's emulator is probably handling Graphics Escape differently on W10.

Great explanation!

Warning:  Windows-related notes below.  Beware :)

Like you say, two bytes are coming in, but there's only one spot on the screen
for a character, so the 08 has to be stored somewhere else.  In Vista that's a
separate character set buffer.  That 08 tells the program to switch from the
normal font to the supplied GE font when drawing those special characters.  Now
if the GE font is not available on the system, Windows will typically revert
back to the existing font, and you get the cent sign (or other non-GE
character) in error.

So to solve the problem I'd look for a GE font file supplied with the emulator,
and drag it to the c:\windows\fonts folder to install it and see if that helps.

Another bit of information for the original poster:  Vista (and perhaps some
other emulators), doesn't actually install the font into c:\windows\fonts.
That's because that directory is often protected from non-admin writes, and I
want people to be able to install and use the program without admin authority,
or run from a USB drive.  Instead, the font library is dynamically loaded, kind
of like LOAD EP= at run time using the Windows function AddFontResource().

I've heard of cases where AddFontResource() is blocked as a security exposure
by some company policies, with the only solution to temporarily switch to admin
and copy the font to c:\windows\fonts.  Just guessing that could be the case
here with Win 10 involved.