A co-worker suggested to save CPU by having one job to cache a VSAM file [which
is frequently looked up by multiple jobs] and introduce a new "look up" API to
"connect" to that job and locate a particular record with a given key.

I am a bit outdated in current systems services, so my first suggestion was to
use EXCI into a CICS region or call a DB2 stored procedure which would act as a
"server", but the question is - is there an easier way to accomplish this in
pure batch?  I am familiar with the cross-memory access but this would require
heavy assembler coding, APF authorization, etc. all of which we are trying to
avoid.

TIA!
-Victor-