j...@crossno.us (John Crossno) writes:
> Just in...
> http://www.computerworld.com/article/3185530/government-it/trump-s-son-in-law-jared-kushner-prepares-for-cobol-cloud-mainframes.html

O'Malley showed Chaffetz the developers at work. "They see a working
environment that looks exactly like Amazon (Web Services) and we're
doing it in the mainframe," he said. "If you have code that works and
works well, that is like gold -- you do not want to throw that away."

But the challenge with older Cobol system systems is that many were not
designed to be extensible and everything that needs to be done has to be
rely on custom code, said McCarthy.

... snip ...

re:
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2017c.html#96 ComputerWorld Says: Cobol plays major
role in U.S. government breaches

note that large part of cloud environment is "on-demand" ... each cloud
megadatacenter with hundreds of thousands of systems, large percentage
sitting idle waiting for instant-on to handle "on-demand" requirements.
Dataprocessing system & software prices have dropped so dramatically
that major expense for cloud megadatacenters are increasingly power &
environmentals. Side-effect is that major vendors are doing custom chips
for cloud megadatacentors meeting the instant-on and optimized
power&cooling requirements (cloud megadatacenters repreasent over half
server chip business).

ever since the rise of "killer micros" from when IBM went into the red
in the early 90s (and was being reorged into the 13 "baby blues" in
preparation for breaking up the company) ... majority have migrated off,
but there have been a number of failed (mainframe) "modernization"
efforts ... particularly in financial and government (including
treasury/irs).

last decade with huge uptic in gov.outsourcing and the rapidly spreading
"success of failure" culture ... where beltway bandits clear lot more
profit from series of failures
http://www.govexec.com/excellence/management-matters/2007/04/the-success-of-failure/24107/

70% of the intelligence budget and over half the people (trivia, former
CEO of IBM headed up this private-equity owner of beltway bandit &
employer of Snowden)
http://www.investingdaily.com/17693/spies-like-us

to address some of the opportunities, there has been a lot of "middle
layer"/middleware ... leave legacy stuff relatively untouched ... and
write new intermediate applications to translate between whatever new is
needed and whatever the legacy cobol implements.

I did review of beltway bandit large, new 3yr gov. contract. I spent all
day explaining how it wasn't going to work and what was needed to make
it work. They spent all day saying that they would be doing exactly what
the contract called for. At the end of the day, somebody explained (when
everbody else had left) that when the existing contract ran out, they
might consider getting it rewritting to something that would work. Their
constant refrain was "leave no money on the table" (renegotiating
existing contract to something that would work, met less revenue).

Last decade, I estimated development of a few government web pages with
full regression testing and security at $30k, a beltway bandit won the
development contract for $10M ... 33333% markup ... right out of the
military-industrial complex. disclaimer: I use to sponsor Boyd's
briefings at IBM, one of Boyd acolytes wrote this account
https://www.amazon.com/Pentagon-Wars-Reformers-Challenge-Guard-ebook/dp/B00HXY969W/
which HBO made into movie:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pentagon_Wars

data breach posts