On Thu, 6 Apr 2017 18:28:14 +0000, O'Connor, Ruth <rocon...@bu.edu> wrote:
And I asked them to confirm that we're not supposed to define their drives with
COMPACT. (Somehow I got the impression that the data will be compressed
automatically when it reaches the Data Domain. Maybe we would use the COMPACT
feature if we were writing to a different type of back-end storage device.)

We use DLMs with DataDomains and that is my understanding too.  The intent is
for z/OS and/or the DLMs do not do any compression,  then letting the
DataDomains to do de-duplication when the data gets stored.  Our DD's are
shared among several different platforms so I don't have a feel for how
effective de-duplication is for z/os type of backups.

Dana