vbc...@gmail.com (Vince Coen) writes:
> A M/F may not break down CPU time between system and the application
> depending on O/S used.

as undergraduate in the 60s, I remember rewritting some CP/67 (precursor
to vm370) so that it world accurately account for all time. More than a
decade later I saw code in unix that was similar to the 60s cp/67 code.

I conjectured that was because some of the CTSS people had gone to the
5th flr to work on multics and others had gone to the ibm science center
on the 4th flr and did cp/40-cms, cp/67-cms, invented GML, bunch of
online stuff, etc. Folklore that the people that had originally done
Unix had previously been working on Multics and "Unix" is a play on
simplified Multics.

About the time I encountered the Unix code ... MVS was claiming that
unaccounted (cpu) time could easily be 50-60% aka "capture ratio", they
calculated wallclock cpu "wait" time, so the inverse was wallclock cpu
use, "capture ratio" was the accounted for cpu divided by (wallclock
elapsed time minus wait time).

This showed up when internal datacenters were bursting at the seams with
largest POK mainframes ... and were looking at offloading lots of the
MVS workload to distributed 4341s out in departmental areas ... and were
not correctly taking into account "capture ratio".

Some of these very large MVS applications weren't able to run on
vm/370-cms.  The issue was that the original os/360 system services
simulation was only 64kbytes ... and a much more complete implementation
somehow got lost when head of POK convinced corporate to kill vm370
product in the mid-70s (and transfer the people to work on MVS/XA)
... Endicott did eventually manage to resurrect the VM370 product
administration ... but had to reconstitute a group from scratch.

as referenced in this old email (discussing "capture ratio" and other
things) ... it only took another 12kbytes of system services simulation
to get the MVS applications into VM/370-CMS production
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006v.html#email800717