On Sat, 29 Apr 2017 12:39:00 +0200, Peter Hunkeler wrote:

>AVGREC is a funny beast. it specifies the multiplier to be applied to the
>primary and secondary space figures. The resulting number is the number of
>records that must fit into the final space allocation. To calculate this
>value, the system needs the (average) record length. This value, however, is
>not taken neither from the LRECL, nor from the BLKSIZE. In JCL, it is the
>first sub-operand of the SPACE= specification.

This is a nightmare.

When they say "record" do they mean "block?  Usually?

I've submitted an RCF:
    I see:
    blklgth — (only if AVGREC is not coded)
    reclgth — (only if AVGREC is coded and SMS is active)

    The document should clarify what happens if AVGREC is coded and SMS is
inactive.

If blklgth exceeds BLKSIZE is an error reported.  The average block size can't
exceed the maximum.

Does explicitly specifying the default, AVGREC=U result in behavior different
from not coding AVGREC?

If blklgth exceeds 32760, is an error reported?

If blklgth exceeds track size for the device, is an error reported?

>E.g. SPACE=(467,(35,12)),AVGREC=K tells the system you want primary space to
>hold 34K records of average length 467 bytes, secondary to hold 12K 467 byte
>records.

Why am I not allowed to code SPACE=(80,20480000), but required to
code SPACE=(80,20000),AVGREC=K?

>In TSO ALLOC you must specify that value via AVBLOCK operand:
>
>ALLOC ... SPACE(35 12) AVGREC(K) AVBLOCK(467) ...

Perhaps more reasonable, but less consistent with JCL.

And what if I specify AVGREC and SMS is active?

-- gil