Just to clarify.

You will not run out of space on an active job.  You can run into a S722 abend
which is lines exceeded in JES which means the configuration in JES2 has a
maximum limit for lines written to SPOOL.  And the task exceeded that limit.
And this can happen with a job running for weeks at a time even with SPIN being
used.

Space is related to dasd datasets.  Spool is handled very differently from data
going to a dataset.

You indicated you wanted to have the output spin after so many lines are
written.  This can be done with the following command

Note:    If this is only for a //xxx DD SYSOUT=   the following type of DD
statement then this will work

//DD5 DD SYSOUT=A,SPIN=(UNALLOC,5K)

In this example, the system splits the data set into 5000 record segments and
makes the SYSOUT data set available for printing every 5000 records. Whatever
remains in the data set at the end of the STEP is available for printing at the
end of step.

If you want the entire JOB to spin -  Start the STC up with the SPIN Parameter
(Depending on your level of z/OS and JES2)

SPIN= {NO                               }
      {UNALLOC                          }
      {(UNALLOC,'hh:mm')  }
      {(UNALLOC,'+hh:mm') }
      {(UNALLOC,nnn [K|M])}
      {(UNALLOC,NOCMND)   }
      {(UNALLOC,CMNDONLY) }

(UNALLOC,nnn[K|M])
    JES2 only. Indicates that the data set is to be spun when it has the
specified number of lines, where nnn is lines. A minimum of 500 lines must be
specified. Specify the optional characters K for thousands of lines and M for
millions of lines.

You still will need another process (JES2DISK for example) to have the data on
JES2 moved to a dataset for later viewing.

Hope this helps

Lizette