<Whew>
Another discussion "turned me on to" the use of NATIONAL characters in
COBOL. Basically, from my reading, this is UTF-16BE with a CCSID of 1200.
That got me to looking at CCSIDs in COBOL in general. Which lead me to the
CODEPAGE() compile parameter.

Finally, to the question: If I am planning to inter-operate with C and/or
UNIX, should I use CODEPAGE(1047) instead of the default of 1140 (which is
CP-37 with Euro). I am thinking this would likely be necessary if I use
some of the C language subroutines which deal with regular expressions.
This is due to the "wrong" encoding of "[" "]" and others in CP-37.

--
Advertising is a valuable economic factor because it is the cheapest way of
selling goods, particularly if the goods are worthless. -- Sinclair Lewis

Maranatha! <><
John McKown