Radoslaw,

You can use the DATASORT operator to just sort the data and ignore the
headers/trailers. Here is a sample JCL. I assumed that the lastname starts
at position 15 for a length of 13.

//STEP0100 EXEC PGM=ICETOOL
//TOOLMSG  DD SYSOUT=*
//DFSMSG   DD SYSOUT=*
//IN       DD *
FIRSTNAME     LASTNAME    YEAR    OTHERDATA
----------    ---------   ----    ---------
JOHN          SMITH       1945    EEEEEEEEE
JOE           ZAWINUL     1932    RRRRRRRRR
GEORGE        ALTMARK     1954    FFFFFFFFF
//OUT       DD SYSOUT=*
//TOOLIN    DD *
  DATASORT FROM(IN) TO(OUT) HEADER(2) USING(CTL1)
//CTL1CNTL  DD *
  SORT FIELDS=(15,13,CH,A)
//*

Further if you have any questions please let me know

Thanks,
Kolusu
DFSORT Development
IBM Corporation