Ok - this thread is now really drifting. ;-)

Clark Morris wrote:

>Since VSAM came in with virtual storage, are you saying RACF was on OS360?

I don't know what to answer you, but RACF v1.1 came in September 1976. I'm not
sure what operating system(s) were then active.

Jesse Robinson wrote:

>RACF data base is not required to be PSU. PS with RECFM F is fine. RACF
>predates VSAM.

It is true. PSU is not required, but recommended. Wait until someone move that,
say with space management, then you get weird abends and an IPL is probably
waiting.

From Security Server RACF System Programmer's Guide this quote:

"Guideline: Make a RACF database unmovable. If an active database is moved from
where RACF thinks it is, for example, by a DFSMSdss DEFRAG operation on the
volume, results are unpredictable. Requests for RACF services might fail, and
profile updates might be lost. If you choose to make a RACF database movable,
you should put procedural controls in place that
guarantee that the RACF database is not moved unless an RVARY INACTIVE command
is issued."

Paul Gilmartin wrote:

>"Unmovable" would seem to imply uncopyable; the copy would have to go in a
>different place.  But there must be some provision for backing it up, and
>little point in trying to move it to another system with such as FTP.

I should have said - Unmovable because of IBM recoomendations. See above.

I should also said, when I'm doing FTP of SMF data or RACF DB, I use FTP on a
_COPY_ of that dataset to avoid any interference of the live dataset(s).

>Why not VSAM?  Performance?  Antiquity?  It feels as if RACF has a built-in DB
>engine.

Ask big blue why not! But the RACF DB is a sort of a database build
specifically for speed and usage by RACF subsystem. Usage of IRRUT200 will tell
you quickly and confirms that "RACF has a built-in DB engine". RACF DB is split
up in segments and blocks identified by relative byte addresses and index
entries, so the layout is more or less similar to VSAM or a type of indexed
data.

Now, we are back to the scheduled discussions of transfers of SMF with JCL or
so... ;-)

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht