From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Joel C. Ewing
Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2017 12:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: RACF Database

It should go without saying that ALTER (and even READ) access to the RACF
database data set should be restricted to those that really need direct access
to the database data set itself.  Ordinary users and even RACF administrators
should have NONE access to the RACF database data set.  I would have been one
with ALTER authority.

I always preferred, whenever not too difficult, to put in place additional
barriers that would require a positive, deliberate act before a single mistake
could cause a disastrous consequence, not just assume that those with the
authority to create a disaster will never commit an error -- like submitting a
defrag for a drive and then realizing by harsh empirical evidence it had a
critical active data set like a RACF database that lacked an enqueue.  In our
case, decades ago, it was an automated system job that ran in the middle of the
night that conditionally decided what drives to defrag based on fragmentation
index.  Ran for months without incident until the night the fragmentation index
threshold was reached on the drive with the RACF database, and the console
filled up with red RACF I/O failures!  Didn't take long to deduce what had
happened -- we had to restore the database using our one-drive MVS system, and
took steps to reduce odds it could ever happen again.
     Joel C. Ewing

Joel C. Ewing,    Bentonville, AR       jcew...@acm.org