From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On
Behalf Of Phil Smith
Sent: Tuesday, May 30, 2017 2:36 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Component IDs?

John P. Hartmann wrote:
>So you set EMSG TEXT?  Naughty, naughty.  If you set EMSG ON, you'll see
the message ID, which is prefixed the component ID.

>To answer your question:  Yes.  Everyone must.

Bite your tongue-*I* don't SET EMSG TEXT, haven't in 40 years!

In z/VM this stuff is pretty rigorous. In z/OS, not so much. Yet due to
SMP/E the need for a unique component ID is clear even for vendor stuff. How
many VM ISV products use an assigned ID? Not many that I can think of.
Some/many/most use *an* ID, but was it assigned by IBM?

to lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN