>I agree that is a likely to astonish but it is standard COBOL, no? No
>different than if you did MOVE 'GOODBYE' TO SOME-VAR. You'd end up with less
>than you might have expected.

This is standard behaviour in PL/1 as well, if not explicitly caught with
STRSIZE.
And it is standard assembler behaviour as well. The target field determines the
length of an MVC.

What is special about COBOL's standard: Truncation also silently occurs with
computational fields.

@John:
 There's the DIAGTRUNC compiler option which causes truncation to be flagged.

--
Peter Hunkeler