From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2017 7:54 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: APF authorization and AC(00)

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 07:27:15 -0400, Peter Relson wrote:

>>REFRPROT extends this to programs that are not loaded from an APF
>>authorized library.
>
>Actually, REFRPROT extends this to programs that are bound with the
>REFR option regardless of module authorization or library authorization.
>And it goes further because it page-protects, which would cause the
>program to blow up even if were running key 0 if it attempted to store
>into itself.

I remain mystified,  Why was not the REFRPROT behavior the default (or only)
behavior ever since the inception of the REFR attribute?
o Is there a performance penalty for REFRPROT that developers
  wanted to circumvent for problem programs?  Contrariwise, it seems
  that coding a test for the authorized status of the load library was
  needless effort.
o Did the developers assume, very incorrectly IMO, that they were
  extending a courtesy to application programmers by permitting
  programs that modified themselves to be marked REFR?