On 2017-07-05, at 13:53, Gibney, Dave wrote:

>>> A JCL member can be available again tomorrow or sometime in the next
>>> decade when the task need repeating.
>>>
>> ​True, but so can a shell script. ...
>
> Either or both are more keystrokes than I care to do frequently on the fly.
> Typos happen.
> Write once, cut'n'paste forever.

I suspect programmers are more alike than you allow for.  I can
hardly imagine a proficient UNIX programmer who won't use a
script for a recurrent task.

OTOH, I know a proficient Assembler programmer whom I used to
watch as he:

READY
ALLOCATE DD(SYSUT1) DSN(*)
    [ up to about a dozen lines of source code ]
/*
CALL 'SYS1.LINKLIB(IFOX00)'

Showoff.

--gil