>Would you mind, and do you have time to open a PMR? If zFS cannot cope with
>non-default CI size, it should say so clearly when asked to format a new
>cluster. At the very least, the 0248 reason code must be documented.

Amen.

But I really really really hate SR, so I really want to avoid opening one
(horror!) and then spend an enourmous amount of time 'discussing' with IBM
support (that in my experience) has deteriorated a lot from the 90s (some
exceptions noted) when I was IBM support myself. Especially now that I have
solved the problem with all of your help. We don't have a direct internet
connection, so the thought alone of sending off the dump after tersing it gives
me the hives. I just don't have the time to spare. I am also sure that a lot of
sysprogs feel the same way about SR.

Also, while investigating this, I found other apars that said 'ZFS needs to
document reason codes'. Apparently IBM hasn't learned anything from that and
still does not document reason codes.

Also, while investigating, I tried some variants of direct commands inside
OMVS. Inside OMVS gave me 'command not found' (and I don't have the knowledge
or the time to figure out how to make it find it). And when I tried the 'tools
- run shell command' from inside ishell, I got the same unhelpful 'dataset not
found' that I got using the batch job. Admittedly, I didn't try to *define* the
dataset that way, just to format a non-conventional VSAM LDS. I just didn't
know that it was unconventional at the time.

In any case - all of this will make for an interesting 'user experience'
presentation at the zTU in Munich in October. Or so I hope.

Barbara