>Do you have the source for the program? Is there "modern" COBOL cleverness in
>there? Dynamic tables, that sort of thing? Here's a scenario: clever COBOL
>program determines region size and allocates a table that just fits. Due to a
>bug or bad design, it is searching or clearing the entire table repeatedly.
>The bigger the region the greater the time.

I'm with you, Charles. My thoughts were:
- Dynamically allocated table of variable size, being searched inefficiently.
The larger the table the more CPU is wasted.
- Dynamically allocated table of variable size, being initialized for each
record. (Don't laugh, I see this  again ang again in our code).
- What is the LE STORAGE option? Is it asking to initialize newly GETMAINed
heap, or all DSA storage.

--
Peter Hunkeler

--