The JES2 checkpoint is the only mechanism that maps spool data. Assuming two
outboard copies of the checkpoint--wherever located--either one can be
reconstructed dynamically from the other even at IPL time. If both are lost or
destroyed--wherever located--you are SOL at IPL time. In particular, the
checkpoint *cannot* be recovered or reconstructed from spool data alone.
Without a usable copy of the checkpoint somewhere (in memory counts), spool
data is meaningless. Cold start time.

So never put both primary and alternate copies in CFs in a single CEC. It's
doable with dual CECs but maybe not a great use of CF memory. There are two
chief advantages of CF checkpoint: performance in general (responsiveness) and
performance balancing among CECs of widely different speeds (XCF tends to
serialize accesses). If you choose to use CF for checkpoint in a single CEC,
put *only* the primary in a structure.

.
.
J.O.Skip Robinson