We are studying to replace old IBM z890 Capacity Setting 230 (170 Mips – 26
MSU´s) by an IBM z10 BC Capacity Setting J02 (182 Mips – 23 MSU´s).

We understand that since MSU´s are lower in z10BC (23 x 26 MSU´s), we should
pay less for software contracts with IBM, CA and SoftwareAG.

This situation is correct for IBM and CA, but not for SoftwareAG since they
charge by MIPS not MSU´s.

Questions about:

1 – Anyone had any experience with this?

2 – IBM and CA accepts capping to charge software, SoftwareAG not, is this a
normal business practice?

3 – Any ideas how to circumvent this situation? z890 is out of IBM service
and we need to replace it. 2nd hand machine available closer to z890
capacity is z10BC, even due z/OS-e will run there with few ptfs applied to
support new hardware (z10BC).

Thanks

Carlos Bodra

IBM System Certified System z