From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Thigpen
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2017 6:19 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z13s IOCP with FTP issue

CAUTION EXTERNAL EMAIL

We don't let *anybody* into the network between the HMC and the SE. Too many
SEs have default passwords on some of the 'special' IDs that can not be easily
changed.

We bought a small two-nic nas box and placed it on both the SE network and the
company network. IOCPs and ICCs go to it as an interim location.
I.E., copy the IOCP to the nas. Then, access the nas via the company network.
You could just add another nic card to your FTP server, but make sure that the
server has all routing turned off.

Also, we set the default route on the SE to 0.0.0.0. An additional protection
against anybody getting into that network segment.

Tony Thigpen

Eric Chevalier wrote on 08/08/2017 04:42 PM:
> On 8/3/17 10:13 AM, Tony Thigpen wrote:
>
>> 1) The ip address has to be available from SE laptop in the cpu. If
>> you have the connections between the HMC and the SE on a isolated
>> network, then the ftp box has to also be on that same isolated network.
>
> We have our HMC on an internal company network so it can be accessed
> from anywhere, even remotely via VPN. Is there any good technical
> reason why the SE can't also be on that network for better access to
> FTP servers in our organization? I realize that having the SE on a
> separate private network might be better security, but that caused
> some grief recently. We needed to import an IOCDS into our z13, but
> that file was in our headquarters office. Because port forwarding
> isn't enabled on the HMC, so we couldn't get access to the FTP server hosting
> the IOCDS.

lists...@listserv.ua.edu with the message: INFO IBM-MAIN **DO NOT open
attachments or click on links from unknown senders or unexpected emails**

This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be
privileged.   It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you
receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any
manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please
reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was
misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your
assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.