On 2017-08-22 11:24 PM, Dyck, Lionel B. , TRA wrote:
Can anyone comment on list or direct message about either TADz or P-Tracker for
software asset management.

Hi Lionel,

I would imagine that the choice depends on what you want it to tell you, and how much you are prepared to pay (money, resources, etc.) to get it.

Do you want to know about programs, products or both?
Do you want to know about LPA program usage?
Do you want product identification?
Do you want product version/release details?
Do you want to know about UNIX programs?
Do you want to track Java usage?
Do you want to know what software may be lurking on DASD even if it's not being used? Do you want to look at the data as an asset manager, or as a systems programmer, or both?
Do you want reporting to be browser-based, scheduled batch job(s), or both?
Do you want trend reports?

I expect there's plenty of other questions that could be added to the above list.

TADz requires a data base.  Most use DB2 but SQLite is also possible.
You only need the data base on 1 LPAR to which you send the collected information from all LPARs. If DASD is shared then "sending" is easy.

Disclosure: I've spent my 10 years at IBM on the TADz team (Dev & L3).
I will be leaving IBM's employ at the end of this month (August 2017).
Actually, I was also the last maintainer (L3) of TLCMz (formerly Isogon's SoftAudit) until it went EOS in 2010 (but am not at all a TLCMz or SoftAudit usage expert). The only other IBM software I ever supported was DLA for z/OS (2014-2016).

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. If you have any questions about TADz then feel free to email me and I'll endeavour to get the answer for you. For the next week or so use
gpr...@au1.hal.com
where each letter of "hal" has to incremented to the next letter in the alphabet.
:)