The reason Clist comments do not need '*/' closing chars is that Clist
lines ending with only a space imply 'end-of-line'. They would need to
end with a '+' or '-' char to indicate they continued on to next line.
REXX requires both '/*' and '*/' to indicate start and end of comments
(same as in SMP/E's PTFs etc.) I enclose my Clist comments in '/*' and
'*/' just to be sure.

As for the 'mysteries', I would guess that IBM published a PTF to
*enforce* the rule that edit macros should always begin with 'ISREDIT
MACRO' - and had previously been ignored. You could spend some time
cross-checking which PTFs had been applied in the SMP/E CSIs of LPARs
that did not work when 'PROC' was coded in edit macros (as opposed to
the LPARs that did still work), but I would not bother. It seems to be
some left-over glitch that IBM decided to fix.

Cheers, Chris Poncelet (retired sysprog)