> On Sep 22, 2017, at 4:01 PM, Walt Farrell <walt.farr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 15:38:33 -0500, John McKown <john.archie.mck...@gmail.com
> <mailto:john.archie.mck...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>> Could someone tell me of some of the "real life" uses of this capability?
>> Why can't I just do a DYNALLOC on the libraries, OPEN them, then
>> LINKX/ATTACHX DCB= whatever it is I need? The only thing that I can think
>> of where this would be a problem is if the code doing so is APF authorized
>> and the program to be run is in a nonAPF library.
>>

> Yes, you as a programmer could do that.
>
> However, consider a TSO user who wants to run a TSO command from READY, which
> is comprised of multiple load modules, and which lives in a library that is
> neither in the linklist nor in the STEPLIB for the user's TSO logon proc.
>
> How does he do that, given that he cannot change the logon proc?
>
> (Note that if the module were a "normal" program rather than a TSO command he
> could use the CALL command, but that won't work for TSO commands. Note, too,
> that if he wanted to run it under ISPF he could use ISPF facilities to handle
> it. But he can't run it from READY without some kind of dynamic STEPLIB or
> tasklib capability.)
>
> —

Walt,
Way back in the 70’ and early 80’s the applications people had a plethora of
loadlibs and each loadlib was a different areas responsibility.
We had a request for steplibs in the logon proc. We shut that down real fast.
Out of the blue we got a request for a program that attached the first program
and then it meandered off in all sort of directions and we couldn’t figure out
what they were asking for.
We asked the programmer in simple english what was needed.
He said they needed to have a list of libraries that were allocated with one
allocate command and then a TSO command that would attach Program a from the
list of libraries and all subsequent requests for programs came from the same
list. ex alloc fi(q) disp(shr) da(‘test.a.loadlib’ ‘test.b.loadlib’
‘Test.c.loadlib’ etc etc) then a two command that would invoke the first
program and use the file(q) as a list of libraries that the system would fetch
from. I hope I explained the situation. We came up with a two command called
$call program FI(Q)  the tso command would attach the first program and
essentially create a task lib of all the libraries in File(q).
We came up with a simple solution and it worked as we never heard a complaint
about it not working.
Ed