SMF manual, Chapter 10 "EXCP Count" seems to clearly state that EXCP counts are
indeed the number of EXCPs executed. Fields SMF30TEP and SMF30TEX are described
as "Total blocks transferred (accumulated EXCP counts).

I would assume that these fields still contain the number of EXCPs executed and
not the number of blocks transferred. IMHO, the number of blocks is greater or
equal to number of EXCPs.

So, the number of EXCPs is only a relative measure of the I/O done when
comparing multiple runs of the same program using the same I/O attributes
(blocksize, bufno, etc. etc). It is not a direct measure of the abount of data
really transferred.

Am I right, or what am I missing?

--
Peter Hunkeler