W dniu 2017-09-29 o 21:15, Edward Gould pisze:
On Sep 29, 2017, at 9:46 AM, R.S. <r.skoru...@bremultibank.com.pl> wrote:

W dniu 2017-09-25 o 23:23, Jesse 1 Robinson pisze:
ServerPac supplies a number of default names with three qualifiers such as
SYS1.TCPIP.llq. We routinely eliminate any middle qualifier as being both
redundant and confusing.

1. SMPE knows data sets by llq. SMPE cannot manage hlq.mlq1.llq and
hlq.mlq2.llq concurrently. JCLIN does not know from anything other than llq.
2. Who can remember which data set groups have an mlq and which do not?

Does anyone attempt to carry these default names forward to production?
Ad 1. IMHO SMPE knows datasets by DDDEFs, which are usually equal to LLQ, but
need not to be.
Ad 2. It's much better to look at dslist, not to remember.

Yes, we do carry most of default names, including 3-qualifiers ones. No animal
was hurt because of that.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Radoslaw:

IBM *used* to use only sys1. Then they slipped a few more in, then a few more
in and kept increasing it.
I got sick and tired of updating the security product almost every 6 month to
accommodate these changes. Then the security changed from us to a security
group. Then all hell broke loose, they basically refused to do the update we
requested as they became a burden to the group (that was their claim). I
decided at that point it was easier for me to change than depend on an outside
entity. I made the decission to hell with IBM naming standards and stay with
sys1.
It was easier for me to rename the datasets and recatalog them than for the
security people to get involved (we had a rock solid sys1 rule). Since I had
control of all compile procedures as well that was a minor additional work for
me to do.
The CEE and the ICQ (which we never used) and the others (ISR,ISP etc) were
better maintained by me and only needed minor work.
I chucked IBM’s PITA naming conventions and never looked back. To this day you
will not find any of those oddball datasets on any system that I am responsible
for.
System installs (and blackouts although never used) were always a non event.
One time I had to almost backout a JES2 change which they did not document but
I used a PDS mass update programs to fix that.
The Hardcoded names like TCPIP… I had to live with and I have never forgiven
IBM for doing such an jerky thing. The one exception I had to live with, which
still boils my blood every time I have to deal with them.
BTW, IMO TCPIP was the starter of the of the evil IBM has set loose on sysprogs
the world over.

Well, I "was born" long after IBM started using other HLQs, not only SYS1. And see no problem with that. Including RACF definitions which are really simple to manage. The "rock solid SYS1 rule" seems to be a little bit obsolete for last 20 years. IMHO there are less troubles and surprises when following current IBM rules, than when trying to change them.

Regards
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Treść tej wiadomości może zawierać informacje prawnie chronione Banku
przeznaczone wyłącznie do użytku służbowego adresata. Odbiorcą może być jedynie
jej adresat z wyłączeniem dostępu osób trzecich. Jeżeli nie jesteś adresatem
niniejszej wiadomości lub pracownikiem upoważnionym do jej przekazania
adresatowi, informujemy, że jej rozpowszechnianie, kopiowanie, rozprowadzanie
lub inne działanie o podobnym charakterze jest prawnie zabronione i może być
karalne. Jeżeli otrzymałeś tę wiadomość omyłkowo, prosimy niezwłocznie
zawiadomić nadawcę wysyłając odpowiedź oraz trwale usunąć tę wiadomość
włączając w to wszelkie jej kopie wydrukowane lub zapisane na dysku.

This e-mail may contain legally privileged information of the Bank and is
intended solely for business use of the addressee. This e-mail may only be
received by the addressee and may not be disclosed to any third parties. If you
are not the intended addressee of this e-mail or the employee authorized to
forward it to the addressee, be advised that any dissemination, copying,
distribution or any other similar activity is legally prohibited and may be
punishable. If you received this e-mail by mistake please advise the sender
immediately by using the reply facility in your e-mail software and delete
permanently this e-mail including any copies of it either printed or saved to
hard drive.

mBank S.A. z siedzibą w Warszawie, ul. Senatorska 18, 00-950 Warszawa,
www.mBank.pl, e-mail: kont...@mbank.plsąd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII
Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego, nr rejestru przedsiębiorców
KRS 0000025237, NIP: 526-021-50-88. Według stanu na dzień 01.01.2016 r. kapitał
zakładowy mBanku S.A. (w całości wpłacony) wynosi 168.955.696 złotych.