Those aren't special characters, they're fundamental to the language. Only square brackets and the ^ operator are usually a problem for English code pages. NOLOCALE is your problem. Specify what  code page you want to use  in the LOCALE() compiler option. For example LOCALE(EN_US.IBM-1047)  or LOCALE(EN_US.IBM-037) .