From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of John McKown
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2017 3:44 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Data set allocation from JCL and REXX/CLIST

[External Email]

On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Paul Gilmartin <
0000000433f07816-dmarc-requ...@listserv.ua.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Oct 2017 13:43:11 -0500, John McKown wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Oct 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM, PINION, RICHARD W. wrote:
> >
> >> I think I know that the answer is "no", but I'll ask anyway in case
> >> it is possible.  I have a NEW,CATLG data set that is allocated to
> >> tape via JCL.  I have a REXX/CLIST that is running in the step that
> >> has the tape data set.  I would like to FREE that data set from the
> >> REXX/CLIST and then allocate a NEW CATALOG of the same data set
> >> name to DASD from the REXX/CLIST.  Aside from using SMS to redirect
> >> the allocation to DASD is this possible?
> >> FIRST TENNESSEE
> >>

> >​I will list my assumptions. First there is a DD of some name, say
> >MYDDN (which is known to the CLIST ), which is allocated to a
> >specific DSN
> (which
> >is NOT know to the CLIST), say SOME.DATA.SET.NAME. It has a DISP of
> >NEW,CATLG. You would like to FREE the current allocation; delete the
> >tape DSN (if necessary); then allocate the same DSN​ to UNIT=SYSDA
> >(or other disk). Can it be done? Yes. But I'm not going to write the
> >code. And I don't know CLIST, so my answer is assuming REXX code.
> >
> >First, determine the DSN allocated to MYDDN. The simplest way to do
> >this
> is
> >with BPXWDYN with an "INFO" request. ref:
> >https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSLTBW_2.1.
> 0/com.ibm.zos.v2r1.bpxb600/bpx1rx78.htm
> >
> >rc=bpxwdyn("info dd(MYDDN) inrtdsn(DSNAME)") address tso "free
> >ddn(mydsn)"
> >address tso "del '"DSNAME"'"
> >
> Suppose it's a multi-file tape.  I don't see that INFO returns the
> position number.

​I guess that I was under the impression that the JCL was incorrect and he
wants to simply remove the tape DD and replace it with a disk DD before writing
to it. Position number is irrelevant to a disk data set.​

> >​Now allocate the DSNAME using the normal TSO ALLOC or BPXWDYN("ALLOC
> ...")
> >command.​
> >
> Suppose Richard intends to copy the data set from tape to DASD.  Does
> he need to uncatalog, noscratch first?

​Hum, he didn't say anything that I interpreted as "I want to copy the data
from the tape to the disk version before destroying the tape version."
Perhaps the problem specification is ​incomplete. I assumed "the user said
UNIT=TAPE and I want UNIT=DISK instead" and that no data copying was
involved.

--
I just child proofed my house.
But the kids still manage to get in.

Maranatha! <><
John McKown

FIRST TENNESSEE

Confidentiality notice:
This e-mail message, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient(s), or
the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this message to the intended
recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this e-mail message is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete this
e-mail message from your computer.