From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Mark Zelden
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2017 1:12 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: (External):Re: CA1 to RMM conversion

On Wed, 25 Oct 2017 15:55:15 -0400, Russell Witt <res09...@verizon.net> wrote:

>And of course using modern CA 1 you NEVER have to shutdown CA 1. You can move
>the database, add or remove ranges even do an in-depth analysis - no shutdown
>ever. In fact, you can even upgrade 1 release at a time without having to stop
>tape processing. Why would you EVER want to have a tape management system that
>requires you to stop tape processing - ever?
>

>And Skip, we haven't been one record per block for about 15 years now.
>

>Russell Witt
>CA 1

Continuous operations is more an more important.   Stopping tape processing
across a
sysplex is a nightmare. It really means stopping all batch because even with
job class standards there is no guarantee tape jobs won't run if you stop a
"tape job class". And not all the sysplexes I support have job class standards
based on tape usage and certainly with virtual tape no one has really paid
attention to violating those standards in years
anyway.   I have a hard enough time scheduling rolling IPLs which don't affect
most
applications, but some batch is affected thanks to priceplex-ing and not having
all software available on all LPARs.  But at least that is controllable with
SCHENV.  When my team does need to schedule a change that requires "stopping
all batch" for whatever reason, there is always a huge push back from my
client.

I didn't like the Datacom implementation forced for some CA products years ago,
but it did allow for continuous operations or significantly less disruption for
maintenance to product files / databases.  I'm glad CA-1 did it all without
Datacom.  :-)

Best Regards,

Mark
ITIL v3 Foundation Certified