Phil Smith wrote:

>I'm trying to understand more about using a SUBSYS= on a DD. The problem is
>that Googling "z/OS" and "subsys" or "subsystem" isn't exactly fruitful,

The word 'subsystem' has many meanings and you will certainly overflow your
search results with junk.

>and the IBM-MAIN archives search seems to be broken (unless nobody has ever
>mentioned "jcl").

Perhaps your search argument(s) are incorrect? I never have trouble using it. I
just use another set of search arguments or combinations of that. Yes, it can
be tiresome, if you use words like 'JCL', 'MVS', 'RACF', 'JES2'... ;-)

... or USS (to the dismay of some one not active anymore on IBM-MAIN...)   ;-D

PS: It is really tiresome to choose which one of these two to use as search
argument: TCPIP or TCP/IP. Which one is 'better'?

>Can someone point me at a book that talks about what this does and how one
>would implement one?

You have gotten good repliess: JCL Ref about SUBSYS statement, CBT Tape
examples, z/OS bookies, etc.

You could also look at EREP and System Logger in KC.

So, after you read all these books and samples, it seemed to me that
'subsystem' is a specific subsystem (re-use of that word!) or service which
does an ad-hoc job or work on something.

Either you use an existing subsystem or you write one yourself.

>Has the archives search always been busted (FSVO "always")?

No, not AFAIK. How are you seeing that it is 'busted'?

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht