Thank you peter.  You are correct and this was entirely my mistake.

I (incorrectly) assumed that if an offset and length existed for a SMF30
segment that there must be at least 1.
WRONG, I need to check all three for non-zero values.
With the SMF that I've processed so far over the last couple weeks, the zEDC
Usage Statistics Section is the only one that I've encountered that has an
offset and length and a zero count.  Anyway, I was incorrect and have since
updated my code.

Thanks again Peter and all those who pointed out my error.
Dan

The fields you show look to me as if they partly contain EBCDIC data. E.g. the
first field has x'E2E3C5D7' which is c'STEP'. Has there been any zEDC
compression in that step? If not, the section is not there and you are looking
at random data.
--
Peter Hunkeler