On Tue, 21 Nov 2017 15:37:57 -0700, Sri h Kolusu wrote:

>If one end of the pipe fails for any reason, then both ends would have to
>be rerun.  The redbook "Batch Modernization on
z/OS"  chapter 16
>explains the use of Batch pipes. Martin Packer is one of the co-author.
>
>http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/sg247779.html

SORT is a weak instructional tool for pipe concepts.  As in:
    CMS Pipelines User’s Guide and Reference:
        sort—Order Records
        Record Delay:   sort delays all records until end-of-file.

I.e. SORT writes nothing until it has completely read its input.  One
might as well write to a temp file and sort that.

A better example might be to use ICETOOL to do a minor reformtting,
record-by-record, of its input.  And generate that input with an EXEC
that emits a record every few seconds.  And use SDSF to track its
output in real time.  But beware: a Master Plumber is apt to jump in
with SPECS stages that do the same thing, faster, better, cheaper.

QSAM buffering will introduce some parasitic delay unless you use
unbuffered RECFM.

-- gil