Am 27.11.2017 um 09:47 schrieb Elardus Engelbrecht:
Bernd Oppolzer wrote:

We used GDDM and 3279 G (IIRC) displays to do preview of our plotter outputs
... This was in the 1985 to 1995 time frame. After that, the applications moved
off the mainframe, to Unix workstations.

Around 1990 - 2000, I and some of my colleagues used GDDM to display on a 3270
screen (PCOMM IIRC) the SAS graphs produced from SMF data. If the pic is
looking great, neat and accurate, then we plot that on a desktop plotter.

Now, today I am wondering how the graphs were transferred. I simply can't
remember how these plotters are connected to the PCs and how the emulator
screen is transferred to a plotter. Granted, those plotters were setup before I
worked with them.

I guess, the original 3279 G displays had small (HP?) plotters
attached to them, so that the content of the display could
simply be hardcopied by pressing a certain key (or controlled
by the application, maybe).

I recall that another public transport company in Bochum, Germany,
had an APL application to interactively build timetables,
and this application used APL and GDDM and the 3279 G display stations
(and the attached hardcopy printer).

Kind regards

Bernd

It was great 'fun' if someone who used the plotter, forgot to replace the pen
caps back after usage... ;-)

... You then sit with dry pens and no available wet pens while managements
wants the pics NOW!!!

These days, we don't use any plotters at all. We are still have these ADM... DD
statements in our TSO procs in case someone wants to use them.

Groete / Greetings
Elardus Engelbrecht