From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Rick Troth
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: CMS style XMITMSG for Unix and other platforms

EXTERNAL: This email originated from outside of Broadridge. Do not click any
links or open any attachments unless you trust the sender and know the content
is safe.

Aaaand ... it seems to be good enough for download: 'git clone' and then
'make tests'. Works.

    https://github.com/trothr/xmitmsgx

You can also find it on Casita.Net:

    http://www.casita.net/pub/xmitmsgx/xmitmsgx-2.0.17.tar.gz

I'd like to hear back from someone trying it on USS. Should work fine
with batch or TSO too when using flat filenames.
Realy I'd like to hear back from *anyone* (using it on, e.g., AIX or
Linux or whatever).

-- R; <><

On 12/11/17 09:34, Rick Troth wrote:
> friends --
>
> VM/CMS has a wonderful utility driven by 'XMITMSG' (the command) and by
> APPLMSG (the macro). If you're a VMer, you know about it. If you're a
> VSE or MVS person, maybe not. It's good stuff. For (at least) the second
> time, I started putting together an XMITMSG work-alike for Unix (POSIX,
> including Linux). Anyone else interested in this? If so, please let me
> know.
>
> There are language libraries and message handlers in Unix land. I have
> yet to find one that works like XMITMSG and the APPLMSG macro with token
> replacement, enumerated messages, clear codes in the handling. Maybe
> there is such, in which case my little "xmitmsgx" project might reduce
> to simple interoperability glue code. If so, great!
>
> I WAS SHOCKED several years ago to learn that there is no equivalent
> function in z/OS. It's an incredibly elegant way to handle localization
> (national languages, regional dialects). This project should work on MVS
> too; it's simple code.
>
> If you have time and inclination to try this thing (and offer feedback
> ... or code), please holler. Thanks!

attachments from your system.