My first install was OS/390 2.8 to upgrade an OS/390 1.2 system and I did
exactly what you are proposing.  To keep catalog issues from biting me, I'd do
an export and import of the user catalogs to new clusters between tests.

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Tony Thigpen
Sent: Tuesday, January 2, 2018 1:34 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: migration to new z/OS release

I am just now starting the research on migrating an os/390 machine to z/OS.
Currently, it is running on a z/10, and we will use an z/OS that is compatible
with the z/10, so a hardware conversion is not an issue.

This OS/390 system has been managed by multiple out-sourcers and bastardized to
the point that we would like to consider just installing a new, clean z/OS,
then migrating the data to it. This is something I have done many times on
z/VSE, but not on z/OS and I know it's not as simple due to the ICF catalogs
and such found on z/OS.

Does anybody have a favorite document that describes such a move and the things
we need to consider? Pointers to "free" tools would also be helpful as we
decide which way to migrate this box.

--
Tony Thigpen