On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 11:21:56 -0600, Paul Gilmartin <paulgboul...@aim.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:08:49 +0000, Beesley, Paul wrote:
>
>>I have been using the PDSCLEAN program from the CBT tape file 693 for a while
>>The report says the PDSE has been cleared, and indeed there are 0 members,
>>however an ISPF 3.4 display shows that the percentage used hasn’t gone down
>>from the original 67% used. I tried the process on a copy of the PDSE and it
>>worked fine … 0 members and 0% used. I can only assume it’s because LLA has
>>hold of it or something.
>>
>PDSE, in a form of work unit isolation, maintains a connection ("hold") on any
>member
>for which BLDL (or DESERV?) has been done until it is released (by BLDL
>RELEASE, IIRC).
>
>-- gil

As the manual DFSMS: Using Datasets notes:
A PDSE member is not actually deleted while in use. Any program connected to
the member when the delete occurs can continue to access the member until the
data set is closed. This is called a deferred delete.

In other words, as long as the dataset is open, the space occupied by the
member being deleted is not freed.