> On Jan 17, 2018, at 12:34 PM, Seymour J Metz <sme...@gmu.edu> wrote:
>
> Good hardware and good software don't ensure security, but they make it
> easier. Note that I wrote "easier", not "easy". There is no substitute for
> good management.

Seymour:

Some 20 years ago thew company I worked for hired a real newbie. His
qualifications were “system administrator”. Since we dealt with the security
people all the time, it took all of an hour to get an idea that he should not
have update access to anything. I talked to my boss and he talked with the
people that were running their department and we we got back was he had plenty
of experience.
I went to the auditors as they were semi friends of mine and explained what was
going on and that they should at least look into it. The next day the guy was
out on the street with no references.  I get a phone call thanking me for
letting them know about the situation. From then on before they could hire
anyone in there security department they had to have interviewed with one of
the auditors.
I stepped on some toes but the people in the security department had been
overruled. We were still friends, the boss hated my guts as he got passed over
from then on for AVP.

ed