On 01/31/2018 07:45 AM, Jantje. wrote:
On Tue, 30 Jan 2018 15:36:29 +0000, Ward Able, Grant <gwarda...@dtcc.com> wrote:

I have a situation where I need to execute a single JCL procedure, but ONLY
execute some steps (including the DSN allocations) for part B or part C,
depending on the return code of part A.

May I suggest you use dynamic allocation for that? I don't think there is any
other way of achieving your requirement.

Cheers,

Jantje.

I concur. Especially if you will be in a JES3 environment. As another poster commented, I also think JES3 "SETUP" will have a problem with the VOL= and UNIT= .

Normally, when I do JCL like this, and it must execute in a JES3 environment, I use an IEFBR14 step to start that names the data sets (disp=new|mod) that IDCAMS will build in a following step. This IEFBR14 STEP has COND=ONLY. JES3 accepts that and doesn't fail the JOB with a JCL error.

Your situation is one that I would have to experiment with, but I think you will need to run TSO in batch with REXX or CLIST using ALLOC/FREE. You may even have to invoke IDCAMS (LISTC) to get info that LISTDSI may not be able to provide.

The requirement that this all be in a single JOB is *the* headache from where I sit.

Regards,
Steve Thompson