From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu> on behalf of
Richards, Robert B. <robert.richa...@opm.gov>
Sent: Tuesday, March 6, 2018 6:17 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@listserv.ua.edu
Subject: Re: FDRMOVE sample jcl

PMFJI

Just about everyone who posted on this topic had portions of their reply
somewhat in error. I might as well. :-)

If my memory serves and I do not fall into the same memory lapses as the rest
of you... circa the first release of OS/390, IBM started rebranding everything
under the DFP family to be known as DFSMSxxx. DF/DSS was no longer a product.
It was to be known as DFSMSdss. IIRC, DFHSM and DFRMM stopped being their own
products at the V2R6 level. Other former DFP products followed the same
convention: DFSMSdfp, DFSMShsm and DFSMSrmm. Integration was the reason for the
season, easier for IBM to support. DFSORT and ICKDSF remained viable with their
own branding.

As previously posted, IFAPRDxx controls whether products are enabled or not,
but I believe DFSMShsm, DFSMSdss and DFSMSrmm are shipped with every order. If
the STATE is set to ENABLED, you can use it (and start paying for it if you
weren't already). You do not DELETE those entries, you just set them to
DISABLED.

Finally ADRDSSU is a PROGRAM and not a product.

As to IDP, their suite of FDR products are very good and in some cases (but not
all) better than the IBM equivalents. Horses for courses. At the time, IBM's
integration of the DFSMS family into the OS made OS upgrades much simpler. Plus
IDP was late in delivering FDR 5.0 as the first SMS-capable release.

I'll stop now. SHIELDS UP!   :-)

Bob