​>I think that there are two sets of "environment variables" in this
situation. There are the UNIX shell environment variables, which is what I
think you are asking about. And there are the Language Environment
environment variables.

I have not done an in-depth analysis on this but I don't think there are two
sets of environment variables. The shell is just an LE UNIX program. It works
with the environment variables of its process. However, the shell will *not*
forward environment variables to its child processes, unless they have been
flagged via shell built-in command "export".

o The /bin/env command displays only those variables which have been exported.
o The set shell built-in command display all variables, whether exported or not.

The shell will have to built the array of environment variables to be passed
when exec()ing or spawn()ing. Only exported environment variables will make it
into that array.

--
Peter Hunkeler