Martin;

To follow up on the previous response to your query I would point out a couple
of general things.......

- The SMF 90, "Subtype" 9 is really the initialization (during system IPL) of
SMF (as opposed to the Restart of SMF - "Subtype" 15) and contains information
about the SMF parms in use for the session.

- As previously noted, some of these Type 90's contain information about the
"reason", etc) but these prompts are controlled by the (NO)PROMPT option
specification and can be (are probably I suspect but can not confirm) avoided.
   Side note: The SMFPRMxx "PROMPT" option setting also controls the
availability of the SETSMF xxxx console command.

- In addition to the SMF 90-9 record for "IPL" of SMF there's also the Type '0'
IPL record which has some different parms.

In general ...... these record are generated BY the SMF address space itself
during initialization and there are others (as you pointed out) that are
generated by other address spaces and probably lots of others that could be
"used" to signal the event -- based on the data being collected in general.

Just some general thoughts for you.

Bill ....
IBM z/OS System Software Development and Service