Recently we upgraded from z/OS 1.13 to z/OS 2.02 so that is why I am asking
this question so late in the game.

I have been working with using In-Stream Symbol substitution, I have been
waiting over 30 years for this!!!, but I digress, and I noticed a minor
annoyance/problem when some of my symbols get substituted and maybe I can get
some light shed on it.

I have a set of 4 symbols that I EXPORT:

//* YYYY   -> 4 digit Year.

//YYYY         SET        YYYY=2018

//* MM     -> 2 digit Month

//MM           SET          MM='03'

//* M3Name -> 3 Charachter Month, 'JAN', 'FEB', 'MAR', ....

//M3NAME       SET      M3NAME='MAR'

//* MNAME  -> Full Month Name.

//MNAME        SET       MNAME='March'

One use is in an invocation of IKJEFT01 & SYSTSIN DD:
//SYSTSIN      DD       *,SYMBOLS=JCLONLY
BPXBATCH  SH rm '/u/ajnims/FTP Client &YYYY.-&MM..xls'
Which substitutes the way I expect and want no blank spaces after 2018 & 03:
BPXBATCH  SH rm '/u/ajnims/FTP Client 2018-03.xls'

Now comes the fun part, in an invocation of SAS, it being SAS has nothing to do
with it, just that it is the tool I am using for this particular activity and
will explain the syntax.
Within the SAS program I use the &MM., &M3NAME. and &MNAME. Symbols.
First use of a symbol:
WHERE=(MnthN = &MM.)
Which translates into:
WHERE=(MnthN = 03)
No spaces again.

Here is where I have a problem:
Sheet_Name='Client &M3NAME. &YYYY.'
I get:
Sheet_Name='Client MAR      2018'
See all those spaces between "MAR" and "2018"?  It looks like the length is
defined by the symbol name plus the "&." Characters, but why did I not get that
with the &YYYY. And &MM.?

I also have:
Title "FTP Client Connections for the Month of &MNAME. &YYYY.";
Which gives me:
Title "FTP Client Connections for the Month of March   2018";

Maybe the fix is to make &M3NAME. be just &MMC. Or something like that, 3
characters for the symbol name, but going to have a problem with the full month
name.

Al Nims
Systems Admin/Programmer III
UF Information Technology