Sorry in advance for the self-promotion,

We (Syzygy) sells automation products (SyzMPF/z and SyzMAIL/z are two of them)
which can be set to monitor all job execution and will send the step condition
codes and max codes via email or text (no JCL or system changes required for
any implementation of this) and also will allow you to use their scripting
logic to do special stuff based on the abend or step condition codes for any
(or all) jobs.

It's a MUCH cheaper (and easier to use) way to handle this than the
alternatives already mentioned and allows much greater flexibility in what
actually gets sent to the user.

For instance, one of the standard scripts we deliver with the product will (if
a D37 or B37 abend is detected), will send the following to the user(s) or
responsible persons via email and text message:

The Condition codes and execution information (programs used steps execute (and
not executed) execution times etc.)
The JCL and JCLMSG jes datasets
I short and long description of the error and how to (generally) fix it.

So the user basically gets a cute table of the steps executed
(you can see simple sample emails at http://www.syzygyinc.com/SyzMPFz.htm of
the "default" you get with no special scripting), programs used, wall times
etc., along with a short message about the problem and how to fix it.  Also
attached to the email is the most useful parts of the output, but you can send
more or less if you wish. Unfortunately the example on the web page doesn't
have the scripting that provides the "how to" part, but the text is inserted
normally after the table that is displayed.

Samples are provided for several typical abends (tape label errors, missing
dataset errors, etc.).  The neat thing about the product is that it can issue
email/text for most any problems that happen and even if there is no "special"
script, it will still notify the user that the job ended and the codes and
such.  Any special stuff can be added, and because it's an automation product
with a lot of capability, it can tell (based on the time of day) whether it's
best to send an email or a text (because they might be sleeping after 10pm).
Many sites use it to wake the operators up and let them know that something
happened that they might need to take a look at.

It also interfaces with our other products so that you can set up monitors that
will watch job execution and inform people when they start/end or if they are
not running when they are supposed, and a lot more.

There is no reason that you could not add handling for other problems to the
samples.  It's fairly simple to use and as I mentioned earlier, it's extremely
inexpensive.  The standard (already low) price on the web site is reduced for
not only SHARE members, but also for members of IBM-MAIN by another (I'm
guessing, but likely very close) 25 or 30%.

End of marketing....

Brian Westerman