From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU> On Behalf Of
Watkins, Philip S.
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2018 2:11 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@LISTSERV.UA.EDU
Subject: Adding an Archive volume to the pool

Hey Guys, I am trying to add new DASD volumes to our existing archive pool
using IDCAMS and I am getting an VSAM error.

RETURN CODE 48 Explanation: Incorrect catalog function.
Reason Code

Description

Explanation: An internal logic error has occurred.
Programmer Response: Contact the IBM Support Center.

6

Explanation: An ALTER of a non-VSAM entry is not allowed for the fields being
modified.
Programmer Response: Ensure that the proper entry name was specified on the
access method services ALTER command and that only fields that exist for a
non-VSAM entry are requested to be changed.

//ADDVOL   EXEC PGM=IDCAMS,REGION=512K
//SYSPRINT DD  SYSOUT=*
//SYSIN    DD  *
  ALTER   -
  FDRABR.POOLDISK.ARCHIVE1 -
  ADDVOLUMES(AR2338)

  LISTC -
  ENT(FDRABR.POOLDISK.ARCHIVE1) VOL

IDCAMS  SYSTEM SERVICES                                           TIME:

  ALTER   -
  FDRABR.POOLDISK.ARCHIVE1 -
  ADDVOLUMES(AR2338)
IDC3014I CATALOG ERROR
IDC3009I ** VSAM CATALOG RETURN CODE IS 48 - REASON CODE IS IGG0CLE8-6 IDC0532I
**ENTRY FDRABR.POOLDISK.ARCHIVE1 NOT ALTERED IDC0001I FUNCTION COMPLETED,
HIGHEST CONDITION CODE WAS 8