On Mon, 2 Apr 2018 15:24:27 -0500, Edward Gould wrote:

>If you are saying you FTP what is on the DVD to the FTP started task on the MF
>I guess I am OK (but have questions) with that. The sticking point I am at is
>how does the FTP server on the MF even know about the HMC server? *assuming
>its magic* then does the FTP server on the HMC transmit the data to the FTP
>server on the MF (How????) and how does the FTP server on the MF know where to
>put the files that are downloaded and what naming conventions are used and
>what if you do not like them?\

Terminology.  An FTP connection (there may be several at one time) communicates
between one client, which initiates the transaction, and one server, which
provides
the requeted "service".

Routinely, SMP/E is (or uses) the client; I'd expect the HMC to be the server
in the
case you envision.  Client on MF; server on HMC.

Client and/or server may communicate via the TCP/IP started task.

-- gil