Alan Altmark wrote:
>Boys, the issue is not whether TLS can be broken. "Anything you can do,
>I can do better!" the song goes. Given time and energy, any economically
>viable crypto can be broken. The entire industry is about making time
>and energy the limiting factor as opposed to the strength of the
>algorithms themselves.

Agreed. The point I was trying to make is that it's a mistake to make TLS sound
trivial to break. It's not. "time and energy" with AES 128 (never mind 192 or
256) is heat-death of the universe time, and that's not even considering the
energy. So "not gonna happen" is reasonable. (And no, quantum computing doesn't
help break symmetric crypto. Current asymmetric, yes; but there are other known
algorithms that are quantum-resistant. So even that concern is just hype.)

As for the link David posted, that's an attack on one particular careless
implementation, not a general problem with TLS 1.2. Even with fancy hardware
and the vuln the link talks about, it's not a slam-dunk, as the presentation
makes clear. I'm leery of making folks more nervous than they need to be about
a topic they're mostly not conversant or comfortable with already.

>My point was that of the three delivery methods today (tape, DVD, and
>network), the network delivery is the most secure because it is the most
>expensive one to defeat. It's far easier and cheaper to buy off the
>little guy in the trucking firm to substitute the similar-looking
>package than to get the telco to do your dirty work for you. Or
>establish yourself AS a telco. (GREAT. There's the next nightmare:
>low-cost ISP who is really state actor.)

Yes! Chuckie is just another of Bob Hackerman's aliases, right?