Curtis,
Yes you are correct that you have to initiate your trust somewhere.  The
paradigm is that you trust the vendor that delivers the CA certificates to
you (e.g., Mozilla, Microsoft, IBM, etc.)
Hand delivering keys defeats the purpose of using certificates.  If you
were going to hand deliver keys, you might as well just use a symmetric
cipher rather than asymmetric. If you want perfect unbreakable encryption
then you should hand deliver one time pads between the parties.

Lou

--
Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity
  - Unknown